Thursday 22 June 2017

Potato Chip Tortilla with Sriracha Mayo












I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to food.  I like making things from scratch, using fresh, unprocessed ingredients wherever possible.  I enjoy simple food cooked the way it's been cooked for generations... An "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda thing. Having said that, I also like to try new and innovative things when they catch my eye (this does not include freak shakes or deep fried Mars bars). Which brings me to this glorious creation.  I've made my fair share of Spanish omelettes over the years using the traditional method of peeling and thinly slicing potatoes.  Drying them and frying them in copious amounts of olive oil. Draining them, mixing them with the eggs and crossing my fingers and toes, hoping that by the end the potatoes are soft and the eggs are set, but not overcooked. But that's the way I used to do it.  This new method is hands down much quicker and easier and just as delicious. It's the only way I'll be making my Spanish Omelettes from this day forward. And if it's good enough for Ferran Adrià, it's good enough for me.


Potato Chip Tortilla with Sriracha Mayo
ever so slightly adapted from here
Serves 6

For the Mayo:
¼ cup good quality mayonaise
2 tablespoons sriracha 
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

For the Omelette:
10 eggs
100ml pouring cream
250g salted potato chips
1 tablespoon olive oil
Coriander leaves, for garnish
Sriracha, for garnish

Make the Mayo:
Put all the mayo ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.  Set aside.

Make the Omelette
Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl, add the cream and whisk until combined.  Tip in the chips and mix gently.  Set aside for 10 minutes stirring now and then.  The chips will soften and settle in the egg mixture.

Put a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add the oil.  I used a 20cm pan which was perfect.  Once the oil is hot, add the omelette mixture and tamp it down with a spatula, pressing it gently onto the base and into the sides of the pan, making leveling the top.  Cook for 5 minutes, loosening the sides with your spatula as it sets.

Remove the pan from the heat, place a large plate over the pan and deftly tip the pan over so that the tortilla ends up on the plate, cooked side up.  Gently side the tortilla back into the pan, uncooked side down and return it to the heat to cook for another 5 minutes.  Turn the tortilla out onto the plate and set aside for 5 minutes before serving with dollops of the Sriracha Mayo, a drizzle of Sriracha and a scattering of coriander leaves.


No comments:

Post a Comment